Find A Pro
Find Contractors and Connected Services to help you get things done!
Checkout who has been hightlighted!
Carbon monoxide poisoning at LaSalle elementary school sends 43 students, staff to hospital
Fire chief says faulty heating system appears to be source of toxic leak
Police, firefighters and ambulances rushed to Des Decouvreurs elementary school in Montreal’s LaSalle borough Monday morning, after dozens of children suddenly became ill.
Montreal’s fire chief suspects a faulty heating system could be responsible for a carbon monoxide leak that sickened dozens of students and staff at an elementary school in the city’s southwest end on Monday.
First responders took 35 children and eight adults from Des Decouvreurs elementary school to at least three Montreal-area hospitals — the Montreal Children’s and Sainte-Justine hospitals, as well as the Royal Victoria Hospital.
Others were nauseous, vomited and were dizzy, Urgences-santé spokesperson François Labelle said at the scene.
The sick children are between the ages of six and 13.
Des Decouvreurs school, located on 39th Avenue, near Riverside Park in the borough of LaSalle, was evacuated soon after a 911 call came in from the school at 11:12 a.m. ET. The children who weren’t sick were moved to nearby Notre-Dame-des-Rapides school.
CO detector missing or faulty?
According to fire Chief Francis Leduc, the carbon monoxide leak could have come from a bad connection in the school’s heating system. Such a defect is not uncommon, he said, and because carbon monoxide is odourless, its presence can be hard to detect.
Leduc said most schools are equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, but Des Decouvreurs was not.
Marguerite-Bourgeoys school board president Diane Lamarche-Venne disputed Leduc’s comments, saying the school is equipped with both a carbon monoxide detector and a methane detector — although neither are mandatory under Quebec’s construction code.
The Montreal Children’s Hospital issued a Code Orange for most of the afternoon, lifting it around 4 p.m.
During a briefing, Dr. Robert Barnes, the hospital’s associate director of professional services, had asked that parents of sick children take them to other hospitals as they dealt with the influx of cases.
The hospital received 16 children to its emergency room, according to a statement.
ask a question
You might also like
When it comes to selling your home, staging can make all the difference. But while we carefully consider things like furniture, décor, paint colours and even scent, there’s another important feature that can help brighten up a sale — light.
For an efficient kitchen, it is important that your appliances be properly positioned. In order to determine the ideal location for your oven, your refrigerator and your dishwasher, several things must be taken into account.
Here are a few practical suggestions for positioning your appliances.
At the 2019 CES show in Las Vegas, Bosch and Mojio unveiled a jointly developed, IoT integrated emergency response solution that adds crash detection and emergency call (eCall) response to an existing connected car solution from Mojio.